NEXT WEEK’S EVENTS (February 26 – March 2)
- Monday, February 19: Jennifer Polizotto’s Birthday!
- Saturday, February 24: Debbie Neustein’s Birthday!
- Saturday, February 24: Ramon Pichardo’s Birthday!
- Monday, February 26: Fire Drill
- Monday, February 26: Grade 1 Team Meeting, 9:20-10:05
- Monday February, 26: Barbara Anzalone’s Birthday!
- Tuesday, February 27: Grade 3 PLC, 8:10-9:10
- Tuesday, February 27: Kindergarten Team Meeting, 10:50-11:35
- Tuesday, February 27: Bonnie Valentin’s Birthday!
- Wednesday, February 28: Grade 1 PLC, 8:10-9:10
- Wednesday, February 28: Grade 2 Team Meeting, 2:05-2:50
- Wednesday, February 28: A-Team Meeting in the afternoon – Ross out of the building
- Thursday, March 1: Grade 4 Team Meeting, 10:50-11:35
- Thursday, March 1: Scheduling Conference in Monroe, NJ – Ross out of the building
- Friday, March 2: Grade 3 Team Meeting, 1:20-2:05
- Friday, March 2: Read Across America Day!
- Friday, March 2: Andrea Mishler’s Birthday!
POINTS OF INTEREST
- Annie rehearsals are Monday, February 26 and Wednesday, February 28. The two showings are at CDW on Saturday, March 3 at 11 am and 3 pm.
UPCOMING LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES
- Teachers College 94th Saturday Reunion: March 3, 2018
- This event needs no introduction. A fun day in Manhattan!
- Edcamp Southwest Connecticut: March 10, 2018
- This is a great, free opportunity to experience the Edcamp model for teacher/educator professional development! As previously mentioned, this is a model we could adapt to replace some of our Faculty Meetings.
- Global Day of Design: May 4, 2018
- “Students need to make, build, and tinker. The Global Day of Design is one-day that focuses on using the Design Thinking process in school. Our goal for the Global Day of Design is to inspire a transformation in schools around the world to incorporate design into an every day practice with our students.”
- Long Island Connected Educator’s Summit: March 24, 2018
- This is a free conference in Long Island that I have attended the past two years, and I will be going again this year. This event features many forward-thinking educators from the area.
- Paramus Summer Institutes on the Teaching of Reading and Writing: July 2018
- These four-day institutes offer great alternatives to Teachers College. Each institute has a beginners track and an advanced track.
Of course, if you’d like to attend any of these events, please let me know!
CURRICULUM RESOURCES: STUDENT CHOICE
- eBook: Getting Started with Student Choice, by John Spencer
- John writes one of the best blogs in education. This beautiful eBook, which takes about ten minutes to read, details his thoughts as he started to implement more student choice in his classroom.
- Video: 10 Ways to Empower Students with Choice, by John Spencer
- Also, John puts together some pretty fascinating videos. Here is one that focuses on student choice.
- Video: What is Genius Hour? – Introduction to Genius Hour in the Classroom, by Chris Kesler
- Genius Hour is a great way to allow for student choice while giving students time to explore their passions. This short video provides a brief overview.
“If you create a system where initiative and creativity is valued and rewarded, then you’ll get change from the bottom up.” – Paul Pastorek