NEXT WEEK’S EVENTS (April 2 – April 6)
- Monday, April 2: Autism Awareness Day. Wear your shirt, and click here for information to share out during homeroom. Students who wish to donate to Autism Speaks can bring in their money any time during the week.
- Monday, April 2: Lauren Petro’s Birthday!
- Monday, April 2: Grade 1 Team Meeting, 9:20-10:05
- Monday, April 2: Faculty Meeting. Click here for the agenda.
- Tuesday, April 3: Grade 4 PLC, 8:10-9:10
- Tuesday, April 3: Kindergarten Team Meeting, 10:50-11:35
- Wednesday, April 4: Grade 2 PLC, 8:10-9:10
- Wednesday, April 4: PARCC Infrastructure Trials, Grade 3, 8:35
- Wednesday, April 4: Fundations Demo, 11:40-12:30
- Wednesday, April 4: PARCC Infrastructure Trials, Grade 4, 12:45
- Wednesday, April 4: Grade 2 Team Meeting, 2:05-2:50
- Thursday, April 5: Senior SLE Meeting, 8:10-8:25
- Thursday, April 5: Assembly: Thoughtful Thursday, 10:30
- Thursday, April 5: Grade 4 Team Meeting, 10:50-11:30
- Friday, April 6: Flexible Learning Spaces deadline
- Friday, April 6: Grade 3 Team Meeting, 1:20-2:05
POINTS OF INTEREST
- This month’s district newsletter is here.
- 30 copies of LAUNCH have been placed in the Faculty Room. There should be enough copies for everyone, and these are yours to keep. If you’d like to jump straight to familiarizing yourself with the LAUNCH Cycle, flip to Chapter 3, page 49.
- PARRC Infrastructure Trials will be taking place Wednesday, April 4 at 8:35 for Grade 3 and 12:45 for Grade 4. This necessitates having all Chromebooks, including Grade 2, available at all times.
- OLSAT makeups will be Thursday, April 19 at 9:00 in the Conference Room. Please do not plan to use this space during this time.
- If anyone is planning on doing anything special for Earth day – Sunday, April 22 – please let me know.
- On the morning of Friday, May 25, Old Tappan First Aid Corps will be visiting us for EMS Week. They will be stopping into each classroom for about 10 minutes to talk about safety and their jobs.
UPCOMING LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES
- Project Based Learning @ TBD
- As part of this year’s local professional learning options that have been put together by Tom Marshall (Elementary Principal in Paramus), I’m offering a 3-part PBL course at TBD from 4:15-6:15 on the following dates: March 27, April 24, May 15. For those who attend these sessions, I believe you’ll start to see how project based learning can help us to satisfy the Next Generation Science Standards (among other subject areas) while meeting the needs of our students. You can attend as few or as many sessions as you’d like.
- Global Day of Design: May 4, 2018
- “Students need to make, build, and tinker. The Global Day of Design is one-day that focuses on using the Design Thinking process in school. Our goal for the Global Day of Design is to inspire a transformation in schools around the world to incorporate design into an every day practice with our students.”
- Paramus Summer Institutes on the Teaching of Reading and Writing: July 2018
- These four-day institutes offer great alternatives to Teachers College. Each institute has a beginners track and an advanced track.
Of course, if you’d like to attend any of these events, please let me know!
CURRICULUM RESOURCES: Reading Logs
In many instances, reading logs are one of those things we do because “that’s the way it’s always been done.” Here are three brief, easy to read posts that may challenge your thinking…
- Blog post – On Reading Logs – by Pernille Ripp
- Blog post – Before You Assign a Reading Log – by Pernille Ripp
- Article – Dear Parents: At-Home Reading – by Donalyn Miller via Education Week
“When you take a forklift and shovel off the programs, underneath it all is a child reading a book.” – Donalyn Miller